There has never been a better time to be a developer. I believe this statement will remain true irrespective of the times we live in.
As a developer today, it is important to look at the full stack when developing applications today. This includes :
- Web client
- Native client (Android / iOS / etc)
- Server side. Yes. You need the server too to power your mobile application functionality.
And not just that, it is important to understand design. Design is increasingly becoming an area that Developers need to understand and be part of, to create applications that not just wow your users but also make it intuitive to use.
As part of its Developer outreach, Google has teamed up with Udacity to provide several courses that address each of the above areas. These courses in my opinion are supported by best in class tools, teachers and materials and if you were looking to start off, these are great resources.
Here are the courses:
- Android Development
- UX Design for Mobile Developers
- Developing Scalable Apps on App Engine (PaaS)
- Website Performance Optimization
- There are couple of other courses, which have been there for a while and are still available:
All the materials have been completely opened up for access by anyone. You do not have to pay the $150 / month. Just sign up and go for the Courseware link.
I recommend these courses strongly and hope you do take them. For inspiration, check out Reto Meier’s article titled “Enabling the next 50 Million Developers” and build apps for all.